Saturday, October 15, 2016

A fetishization of Furrowed Middlebrow books

As most of you know, Andy and I are presently gallivanting around England and Scotland. But I didn't want the blog to go all ominously silent for our whole trip, and I wanted to continue to share my excitement about the nine Furrowed Middlebrow books newly released from Dean Street Press. (As I mentioned in my last post, don't be alarmed if it takes longer than usual for comments to appear, as I will only be able to moderate occasionally while travelling.)

I admit I was running out of time to do everything I would have liked to do, as we made our final preparations for our trip (and as my pesky day job was a bit rushed and crazy as well). So preparing several in-depth blog posts in advance just wasn't happening. But I had been overwhelmed by all the wonderful full cover images that Rupert from Dean Street had been sending me (I love seeing the whole wraparound covers, rather than just the front, which always slightly resembles a mug shot). So I thought perhaps some of you would enjoy seeing them all almost as much as I have.

Without further ado, then, here are all of the Furrowed Middlebrow covers, as well as the full covers for the two additional Winifred Peck mysteries published by Dean Street Press. At the bottom of the post, not so much out of shameless self-promotion (though there is admittedly a bit of that as well) as because several people had asked for detailed information about ordering, I am again including the information from last post—a list of all the books, with the titles linking to my original reviews of them, alongside links to their product pages on Amazon US and Amazon UK.

But for now, it's the covers that are front and center:

FM1 - Rachel Ferguson, A Footman for the Peacock (1940)

FM2 - Rachel Ferguson, Evenfield (1942)

FM3 - Rachel Ferguson, A Harp in Lowndes Square (1936)

FM4 - Frances Faviell, A Chelsea Concerto (1959)

FM5 - Frances Faviell, The Dancing Bear (1954)

FM6 - Frances Faviell, A House on the Rhine (1955)

FM7 - Frances Faviell, Thalia (1957)

FM8 - Frances Faviell, The Fledgeling (1958)

FM9 - Winifred Peck, Bewildering Cares (1940)

And the two additional mysteries from Dean Street Press:

Winifred Peck, The Warrielaw Jewel (1933)

Winifred Peck, Arrest the Bishop? (1949)



Note: You can easily find all nine of the Furrowed Middlebrow books by simply searching "Furrowed Middlebrow" on Amazon.

Rachel Ferguson

Evenfield (1942)
Rachel Ferguson

Rachel Ferguson

Frances Faviell

The Dancing Bear (1954)
(review coming soon!)
Frances Faviell

Frances Faviell

Thalia (1957)
Frances Faviell

Frances Faviell

Winifred Peck


And, as mentioned, there are two new titles in Dean Street's Golden Age mystery series that are being published to coincide with the Furrowed Middlebrow Winifred Peck title. Those are:

Winifred Peck

Winifred Peck

8 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to get a couple of these to review - but have also just gone and bought the other Rachel Fergusons too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading Chelsea Concerto. Very well written, but also something I can't read just before bedtime! But great to have it available. I think Bewildering Cares will be my next purchase. Love the full covers! Also, thanks Scott for mentioning the free ebook of the week from Dean Street, I picked up a free copy of the Molly Thynne mystery He Dies and Makes No Sign, which sounds interesting.

    Hope you and Andy are having a LOT of fun!!

    Jerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have finished A Chelsea Concerto, a wonderfully evocative book, and moved on to The Dancing Bear. Very hard reading for me as my closest friend, her little brother, mother and grandmother, fled before the advancing Russians and this is an all too vivid account of what might have befallen them. But so worth reading.

    Both books are a cogent reminder of the horrors that mankind is capable of unleashing. We don't seem to have learned a single thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Saturday I received Chelsea Concerto and the Footman for the Peacock which I had preordered from Amazon and I am so glad to have them at last! They are nicely bound and presented, and I cant wait to get started reading. Thanks for persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful and I'm looking forward to reading them - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The covers are so beautiful! Tied together by the frames but very individual in the cover images, and a unique look at the moment, which is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scott, these look delicious! Thanks so much for your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover designs are striking and hold nostalgia and connect the genre, love them.
    Christy
    Lilbitbrit

    ReplyDelete

NOTE: The comment function on Blogger is notoriously cranky. If you're having problems, try selecting "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" from the "Comment as" drop-down (be sure to "sign" your comment, though, so I know who dropped by). Some people also find it easier using a browser like Firefox or Chrome instead of Internet Explorer.

But it can still be a pain, and if you can't get any of that to work, please email me at furrowed.middlebrow@gmail.com. I do want to hear from you!