Friday, August 19, 2016

Coming attractions: Furrowed Middlebrow book covers

I'm very happy to have been given the go-ahead to share with you the covers for the first batch of Furrowed Middlebrow books, which will be released by Dean Street Press in October. I'm completely delighted with the way they turned out, and I hope you'll find them enticing as well. A big thanks to Rupert at Dean Street, who did all the work in putting these together and managed to create a unique and clever design that makes our books easily recognizable.

I also want to take this opportunity to mention the wonderful intros that have been written especially for our editions of these books. I think I mentioned early on that historian Virginia Nicholson has written a new introduction to A Chelsea Concerto. Nicholson has long been an advocate of the book, so it's certainly fitting that she would introduce it. 

For the Rachel Ferguson and Winifred Peck books, we have wonderfully informative intros by scholar Elizabeth Crawford (who wrote Ferguson's entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, no less), which will be great treats for fans of those authors. And for the other Faviell titles, we also have some treats in store, including more biographical information than has previously been known, some fascinating photos, and perhaps some personal reflections from her son.

All of these books should all be available for pre-order on Amazon by the middle of September at the latest (a couple of the paperbacks are already listed, which was very exciting for me), and will be available in both e-book and paperback formats.



















31 comments:

  1. How completely amazing, what a wonderful thing! I am pre-ordering these. Huge congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the covers, Scott! I'm even tempted to buy the paperbacks rather than eBooks because they look so lovely. I'm very keen to get my hands on these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, these are completely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cover design. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful covers Scott. I shall certainly be ordering some of these, and am starting to be intrigued as to which titles will be included in the second batch of releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle Ann! I hope an announcement about Batch #2 will be possible around the time that Batch #1 is released or shortly after, so stay tuned!

      Delete
  6. Scott! So attractive - all of them! "Super sellable," as my realtor would say. Looking forward.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, they look so good! If books sell by their cover then these will fly off the shelves. I can't wait to put in my order

    ReplyDelete
  8. As everyone has said, lovely covers. And I very much like the "theme" or whatever it is called, with the gabled house roof on top, with the title in the "awning" area, and the author in the color matching area below, with the (often reproduced original) lovely cover picture in the middle.

    It will make the Furrowed Middlebrow have an identity in online and real life book stores. The books jump right out and grab you.

    Hope they sell very well indeed.

    Jerri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jerri! The house design was all Rupert's doing, to make a consistent look for all the FM books. I could never have come up with it, and I'm really delighted with it.

      Delete
  9. The moment I can, I shall order Chelsea Concerto and Bewildering cares. Soooo my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I hope you enjoy them as much as I have!

      Delete
  10. Those covers are amazing! I was only going to buy 3 or 4 of the titles but I am going to have to rethink that :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're beautiful, Scott! My wallet is on stand-by...

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! I have a fantastic excuse to buy NEW books for once!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! And it's great to hear about the introductions and other material. I love when those pieces are added to new editions of older works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lory! Of course, I may be biased, but I think these intros are particularly excellent.

      Delete
  14. I preordered both of them and am looking forward to getting the rest too! I cant believe that in less than 2 months I will be able to read A Chelsea Concerto after so long!!!! thank so you so much for making this happen and please continue onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina, I'm so happy that you will finally be able to read Concerto--I think it will be worth the wait!

      Delete

NOTE: The comment function on Blogger is notoriously cranky. If you're having problems, try selecting "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" from the "Comment as" drop-down (be sure to "sign" your comment, though, so I know who dropped by). Some people also find it easier using a browser like Firefox or Chrome instead of Internet Explorer.

But it can still be a pain, and if you can't get any of that to work, please email me at furrowed.middlebrow@gmail.com. I do want to hear from you!